Sunday, May 15, 2011

Social Classes

So this week in my class we discussed social classes. This doesn't mean just classes separated by economic value, but different lifestyle, different culture, economics...etc. The point was to prove how social classes plays a part in the family and how it functions. Families tend to be effected by their environment.
I had to watch a video that showed a couple that were engaged to be married, but they were discussing their difference of class. As the movie continued, the soon-to-be-husband became a little agitated because he was painted as the person from the lower class. He became a little defensive and embarrassed his fiance a little.
Since my husband and I have been dating, I definitely noticed a difference in our background. I come from a big city where the school systems are good (my high school was rated in the top ten in the nation while I was attending) and scholastically competitive. I was used to visiting friends with "posh" houses and public facilities everywhere were more than decent. In the city everything was available to you at all times. I was never in desperate need of anything (not to say I got everything I wanted because that was definitely not true - my parents wanted me to learn how to work hard). In addition to careful planning, my dad did very well in his job; therefore, he provided me and my siblings with wonderful opportunities. We were all very involved musically (this included expensive trips with our choirs and bands), scholastically, and with soccer for a time.
In contrast, my husband comes from a small town where the school systems were not that impressive. I'm pretty sure if I had attended there (or any of the students who graduated with me in honors) I would have been in the very top percentage of the class or valedictorian. I'm not saying that I am a brilliantly minded person, or that my husband is less so (he is actually very smart!), I am only pointing out the differences in our upbringing. My husband's school didn't sponsor a very successful program in the arts (which I'm not sure my husband would have taken advantage of) but apparently they did have a pretty competitive sports program. His graduating class was about a quarter of the size of mine. He was involved in a sport that would never really be conducive to the city. Falconry is something that I would have liked to watch, but it is definitely a country sport.
Where I had a healthy relationship with a group of real, genuine friends which banded together and really blessed my life, he did not. While I thoroughly enjoyed my time in High School, he couldn't wait to get away. My family stayed in the same area during my upbringing and I reaped the benefits of having a consistent, stable ward. He did not.
Again, this isn't to prove that our differences or lot in life has esteemed one person above the other. The point is that you could fairly say that there is a difference in our social class as it stands. I imagine that as we continue to grow together, our lives will continue to merge and our class will be considered one of the same. I am excited that we get to determine the "culture" our family will be cultivated in. But at the same time, as we are just starting out, it is good to recognize our differences of perspective and of life-style as just those: differences. Nothing is right or wrong - only familiar or foreign. We get to determine what we keep and what we throw out together. It will be an exciting journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment